Your Health Your Decision
will give you easy-to-understand information so that you can make informed decisions about your care. The new sponsorship with KTVU/KICU features Santa Clara Valley Medical Center physicians guiding people through the maze of healthcare information in a variety of specialties.
Please check back to this site as more physician videos and information will be added. Making a Decision About Your Healthcare
When you or a loved one learns they have a serious injury or illness, what do you do next? Dr. Jeffrey Arnold, Chief Medical Officer at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center offers information about what you should think about when making some very important decisions.
Healthcare Decisions Videos
We want you to be fully informed about your health. Below you will find suggested questions to ask your doctor. By asking questions and providing information to your doctor and others on your healthcare team can help to improve your care. Questions About Your Symptoms or Diagnosis
Questions About Your Treatment
- What is this disease or condition?
- How serious is my disease or condition and how will it affect my home and work life?
- What are the short-term and long-term prospects for my disease or condition?
- What caused the disease or condition?
- Is there more than one disease or condition that could be causing my symptoms?
- What symptoms should I watch for?
- What tests will be involved in diagnosing my disease or condition? What will these tests tell me?
- How safe and accurate are these tests?
- When will I know the test’s results?
- Will I need more medical tests?
- Do I need a follow-up visit and if so, when?
- Do I need to take precautions to avoid infecting others?
- How is this disease or condition treated?
- What are my treatment options?
- How long will the treatment take?
- What is the cost of the treatment?
- Which treatment is most common for my disease or condition?
- Is there a generic form of my treatment and is it as effective?
- What side effects can I expect?
- What risks and benefits are associated with the treatment?
- What would happen if I didn’t have any treatment?
- What would happen if I delay my treatment?
- Is there anything I should avoid during treatment
- What should I do if I have side effects?
- How will I know if the medication is working?
- What would I do if I miss a dose of medication?
- Will my job or lifestyle be affected?
- What are my short-term and long-term prospects?
Questions If You Need Surgery
- Why do I need surgery?
- What surgical procedure are you recommending?
- Is there more than one way of performing this surgery?
- Are there alternatives to surgery?
- How much will surgery cost?
- What are the benefits of having surgery?
- What are the risks of having surgery?
- What if I don’t have this surgery?
- Where can I get a second opinion?
- What kind of anesthesia will I need?
- How long will it take me to recover?
- What are your qualifications?
- How much experience do you have performing this surgery?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
Quality health care is a team effort and you play an important role. Your questions give your doctor and health care team important information and can help you take better care of yourself, feel better and get the right care at the right time.