Team Care From Day One
Early intervention is a key factor in realizing the best possible outcome for a patient disabled by catastrophic injury or illness. Our staff works with other medical specialists, trauma surgeons, neurosurgeons, and orthopedic surgeons at SCVMC to begin the rehabilitation process immediately following the onset of the condition or the injury.
The interdisciplinary team is another key to a successful outcome. Each patient’s care is overseen by a specific on-staff physiatrist, leading a dedicated team that includes therapists, a nurse, case manager, and social worker.
As treatment progresses, additional health professionals are added to meet the unique and changing needs of that patient. This team is a constant factor throughout the patient’s stay, and works with the patient and family to prepare for returning home.
YOUR EXCEPTIONALLY TRAINED CARE TEAM
Along with state-of-the-art technology and treatment capabilities, the Rehabilitation Center has one of the largest, most highly trained and experienced care teams in the region. The teams are led by nine board-certified physiatrists and include:
- Rehabilitation nurses
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Speech therapists
- Recreation therapists
- Case managers
- Social workers
- Wheelchair specialists
We’re staffed by full time, board-certified physiatrists with experience and specialized training in either brain injury, spinal cord injury, and stroke. In fact, many of our highly-trained physicians, therapists, and nurses are double and triple board-certified, and are willing to go the extra mile for specialized training so they can provide the highest level of compassionate care after the unthinkable occurs.
Our patients tell us that the personal one-on-one time with these therapists is the most helpful part of recovery, as they strengthen, build up, encourage, and support the patient mentally, physically, socially, spiritually – because all integral to recovery. This team plays a significant role throughout your stay, and will work with you and your family to prepare for returning home.
REHABILITATION LEADERSHIP TEAMS
- Benita McLarin, Director of Rehabilitation
- James Crew, M.D., Chair, PM&R
- Thao Duong, M.D., Vice Chair, PM&R
- Roberta Wang, M.D., Associate Chief, Traumatic Brain Injury
- Stephen McKenna, M.D., Chief, Rehabilitation Trauma Center
- Edward Chaw, D.O., Associate Chief, PM&R
- Emily Huang, M.D., Associate Chief, PM&R
- Kazuko Shem, M.D., Associate Chief, PM&R
- Henry Huie, M.D., Associate Chief, PM&R
- Angela Chang, Contract Manager
- Ann Perkins, M.A., Manager of Rehabilitation Relations
- Linda Isaac, PhD, Director of Rehabilitation Research Center
- Sandy Williams, Manager of Care Management-UM, PURC, Rehab CM
- Karin Silcox-Baker, RN, Nurse Manager Spinal Cord Injury
- Kim Johnson, RN, Nurse Manager, Brain Injury and General Rehab
- Matt Gerrior, RN, Nursing Administration
- Stacy Sweeney, PT, Director of Therapy Services
- Teri Zimmerman, OT, Therapy Services Manager, Spinal Cord and Ortho
- Jennifer Flores, OT, Therapy Services Manager, Brain Injury and General Rehab