Dr. Lalakea earned her BA degree in Biochemistry from Harvard University in 1981. She received her medical degree from the Boston University School of Medicine summa cum laude in 1985 and completed her Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery residency at Stanford University in 1990.
Dr. Lalakea is board certified in Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, The American Society for Head and Neck Surgery, and the American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery. She joined the Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, Division of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery in 1990 and currently serves as Division Chief. She was appointed to the clinical faculty of the Stanford Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery Department in 1990, and has been honored to be the recipient of the Stanford Otolaryngology/HNS surgery Teacher of the Year Award in 1995, 1997, 2014, and 2017. Dr. Lalakea has particular expertise in thyroid surgery, parathyroid surgery, and pediatric ENT conditions, but she enjoys offering a wide range of medical and surgical treatments for general ear, nose, and throat conditions in both children and adults.
Dr. Lalakea’s specialties include:
Head and Neck endocrine surgery including:
- Surgery for thyroid goiter, thyroid nodules, and thyroid malignancy including neck dissection when needed
- Surgery for Graves Disease/hyperthyroidism
- Surgery for substernal thyroid goiter
- Revision thyroid surgery
- Parathyroid surgery for primary hyperparathyroidism
- Subtotal parathyroidectomy for renal (secondary and tertiary) hyperparathyroidism
- Dr. Lalakea has a high volume endocrine surgery practice, with greater than 100 surgeries performed per year
Medical and surgical treatment for pediatric ear, nose, throat conditions including:
- Snoring and sleep apnea, ear infection, congenital neck masses, ankyloglossia/tongue-tie, laryngomalacia and airway conditions
- Special interest and expertise in pediatric thyroid surgery, for Graves disease/hyperthyroidism and nodules/malignancy
Medical and surgical treatment of general ear, nose, throat conditions in children and adults