About Our Internship Program
The SCVMC Child Life Program provides an unpaid, 600 hour, in-person internship to train and educate emerging Child Life professionals. This internship opportunity utilizes a curriculum created by the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP). Currently, we are accepting applications for Fall, Winter/Spring, and Summer Internships. We select one candidate each term.
At SCVMC child life interns work one-on-one with a Child Life Specialist while providing child life services on the Pediatric ICU, the Pediatric Acute Care Unit, The Pediatric Short Stay Unit, and The Pediatric Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit. Opportunities to provide child life services are also available with pediatric patients and families admitted in the Burn Center and Neonatal ICU. On a referral basis, child life services are also provided in the Emergency Department, the OR, Interventional Radiology, Radiology, and Adult Palliative Care. On the adult units, services are provided to the children of adult patients who are facing potential loss, separation, and grief.
It is our priority to support interns in developing a foundation of skills in preparation to becoming Certified Child Life Specialists. We encourage our interns to gain independence and competence by facilitating various interventions and services with our patients and families. We provide a varied clinical experience along with in-depth supervision and reflection. Our goal is for interns to be able to put theory into action, and work to become job-ready by the end of the 600-hour experience.
At SCVMC, we follow the ACLP Internship Deadlines (childlife.org)
Please note, that internship start dates and end dates may vary due to safety protocols for the on-going COVID-19 pandemic.
SCVMC Child Life Internship Requirements:
- Must be in the final semester of completing a bachelor’s degree or enrolled in a master’s program.
- Has experience in volunteering/working with infants, children, youth and/or families
- Has completed a child life practicum by the start of the internship.
- Must be affiliated with a college or university.
- Affiliation between an intern’s school and SCVMC must be established for internship.
- Current affiliations:
- Loma Linda University
- Azusa Pacific University
Application and Interview Process
For an application to be considered complete for review, we require the following:
- A completed ACLP Common Child Life Internship Application (childlife.org)
- 2 Recommendation Forms
- Recommendation forms are found in the ACLP common application and should be submitted directly to us by the recommender.
- Cover letter
- A copy of your ACLP eligibility assessment form
- School transcripts are not required upon initial application. We may request them later during the application review process.
Email submission of internship application packet is preferred. You may also send a copy of your internship application via mail to:
Cristina Chandri, MS, CCLS
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
751 South Bascom Avenue
Building M, 5th floor Playroom
San Jose, California 95128
If you have any questions regarding the application or internship, please contact:
Cristina Chandri, MS, CCLS
Phone: 408- 885-2920
Email: [email protected]