Milton J. Chatton Medical Library at Santa Clara Valley Health and Hospital System (SCVHHS) offers library and media resources, research and reference services for SCVHHS' professional and paraprofessional staff, patients, and their families. Library services are extended to the community for those who seek health care information.
The library offers information services related to the delivery of health care, the training of health care personnel, clinical research, and consumer health information.
Milton J. Chatton Medical Library Holdings
- The Milton J. Chatton Medical Library has a core collection of medical texts and reference materials such as dictionaries and pharmacy formularies. There are over 450 journal subscriptions, a vertical file with topical information and limited audiovisual materials. Please see the Search the Medical Library
page for more information.
Computers - Eight workstations are available to provide access to the library's catalog, the Internet, PubMed (LinkOut), EBSCO Host, Consumer Health resources and Microsoft office applications.
Loan Policy - SCVHHS employees have borrowing privileges. Limited access and use of library materials is extended to patients and their families, outside health professionals, students, and the public. Most items may be checked out for 2 weeks and journals for 1 week (current issues do not circulate). Items may be renewed twice, in person or by phone (408) 885-5650. A book return box located in front of the cafeteria on the same floor, is provided for your convenience when we are closed.
LIBRARY FINES: There is an overdue fine of 20 cents per day. After 3 overdue notices have been sent, the borrower will be billed for the cost of delinquent materials plus a $15.00 processing fee. The processing fee is not refundable.
Interlibrary Loans (ILL) and Literature Searches
Charges per article or search:
- SCVHHS staff - $10 for school or personal use; for hospital business and patient care charges are waived.
- SCVHHS students, interns, volunteers - $10 for personal requests.
- Non-SCVHHS divisions (e.g. Public Health, Mental Health, Department of Alcohol and Drug Services) staff - $10.
- Unaffiliated patrons - $25 plus copyright fees when required.
751 S. Bascom Ave., Rm 2E063
San Jose, CA 95128
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 1:00 pmClosed on Weekends and County Holidays