IMPORTANT UPDATE: WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FROM THOSE INTERESTED IN VOLUNTEERING DURING SUMMER ONLY.
Volunteers at SCVMC are part of a positive team who make patients their top priority.
The Volunteer Services Program is open to those who meet the following requirements
- Sincere desire to actively serve others and give back to the community. Being a positive, helpful and warm presence in the hospital and clinics.
- Availability & Commitment. Able to volunteer at least 100 hours during 6 consecutive months, serving at least a 4 hour weekly shift. Preference given to those available during regular business hours: Monday-Friday: 8:30a-5:00p.
- Caring & Compassion. Able to serve individuals of diverse backgrounds, ethnic groups, and physical abilities.
- 16 years of age and older. Teenagers will be interviewed for hospital readiness.
- Able to Communicate effectively with staff and patients by demonstrating basic English proficiency. Bilingual encouraged to apply.
- Attend Mandatory Orientation & Training. This is by invitation only.
- Pass Health Screening.
- Wear your Volunteer Jacket.
Currently, preference is given to applicants who are available during the week between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Volunteer opportunities are available at the following locations:
- Gift Shop
- Outpatient Clinics
- Surgical Waiting Room
- Information Desk : Valley Specialty Center, Main Hospital and near Emergency Room wing
- Medical Library
- Volunteer Office (advance office skills/software preferred)
- Occupational Therapy *
- Physical Therapy *
- Pharmacy *
* 240 hour minimum
- Spiritual Care
- Review website and complete the VMC Adult Volunteer Application and Reference Form. See c. below for more information.
- If you are interested in becoming Spiritual Care volunteer, please complete the Spiritual Care Application and forms. Send the completed paperwork directly to Spiritual Care Services. Directions are on the application.
- For VMC Adult Volunteer Applications, send them and all completed paperwork to Volunteer Office. Applications will be accepted:
By Fax: Fax #408-793-5710
In-Person: Please drop off at: Valley Medical Center
751 S. Bascom Ave.,
Main Hospital Lobby, Information Desk
Attn: Luisa Lennon, Volunteer Services
Attend Mandatory Orientation
by Invitation Only
Select Fridays, 10am - 12pm
||June 15 - 24
||September 13 - 23
||October 11 - 21
||November 16 - December 9
- You will be contacted for a brief phone interview. If appropriate, you will be invited to an orientation session.
Attend MANDATORY 2 hour orientation. Orientation Sessions are by invitation only, and on select Fridays throughout 2015.
Health Clearance Process
- At orientation (upon submitting all required paperwork, including reference):
- Receive required Volunteer Health Clearance Form.
- Learn how to complete VMC’s required on-line health survey (required for health clearance).
- Make an appointment at SCVMC for a health check.
- Bring your immunization records.
- An annual TB test and flu shot are required.
Upon receiving notification of successful completed health clearance, Volunteer Services will contact you to schedule appointment for Placement Interview and/or Badging.
- Placement Interview(s), Badge & Jacket: Discuss your availability and placement with Volunteer Services Manager and/or staff. Upon placement, receive your badge and purchase your volunteer jacket for $20.
- Meet with your Supervisor in the department where you will be a volunteer.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Santa Clara Valley Health & Hospital System.